Wednesday, June 10, 2009

TEDxKL & GEW


I wish to take this opportunity to apologize to the organizers and attendees of TEDxKL recently for "shamelessly selling" GEW!

The event was on 3rd June, at the Gardens KL.

I was invited by the organizer, Daniel Cerventus when he was in my office for a meeting. As he was leaving he asked me if I will be available to speak at TEDxKL .

I asked him what I should speak about and he said, "GEW".

So, I registered in my mind that this will be a good opportunity to promote the concept of the Global Entrepreneurship Week.

It was a busy period for me as we were was busy with many proposals and tenders.

I then completely forgot about the event and carried on at my usual "feverish pace of working" - as my wife would call it.

One evening a few days before the event, I saw Daniel online and asked him when TeD was and he replied "Wednesday" !

I realized it was already Monday and typed "what do I talk about?" and he said "success stories about GEW".

I did not realize what this meant nor did I know what TEDxKL was about let alone Do's and Don'ts for this event. What I should have done is to do some research on the protocols of TED.

So what did I do ?

I arrived at the event an hour before my talk, finalized the standard slides and simply spoke about GEW, the success last year and our vision this year and happily invited the attendees to come for the 1st partners' meet on the 12th at 4pm at the NSTP office in Jalan Riong

What was I thinking of?

I was under the impression I was talking about the idea of "a global movement of entrepreneurial people" and promoting entrepreneurship. But what it turned out was that we were selling or pitching ! We were "shamelessly promoting" !

Actually I promoted all my partners shamelessly. I think they, those great people need to be acknowledged.

However, this ruffled some feathers and the host was not pleased. I should have known better.

I deeply regret and apologize for the goof up ! Lets move on..

On another note..

We are going to be having the 1st GEW Partner's Meet on the 12 June between 4pm to 6pm.

The Venue is the NSTP office in Jalan Riong. Come early to find parking.

Hope to see you all there.

Together , let have an awesome GEW09 and lets put Malaysia once again on the map.

Cheers

No comments: