Thursday, May 7, 2009

Facebook Hour with Dato' Saifuddin Abdullah

















It was 5.27pm - I was driving back to KL from Cyberjaya after a presentation to a client and I got an sms from Shamsul, the ever hardworking but always in great spirits like his boss - the aide of Dato' Saifuddin Abdullah, the Deputy Minister of Higher Education.

The sms read "FB Hour with Dato, today @ Pelita, Jalan Ampang, 11pm to 12 am" !

I thought I will wait to get to my destination to read the sms again - I need my reading glasses these days to make sense of anything written ! Must be the scorching sun !

I read the sms again at the traffic lights - yes 11pm to 12am !! I smsed Shamsul to say I will be there.

Apparently Dato' had to attend a function with the PM at the Mandarin Oriental earlier that evening and he could only do his fortnightly Facebook Session at this hour.

Dato Saifuddin Abdullah goes online every fortnight (Wednesdays) on Facebook for an hour.

During this hour, he chats with young people, university students and others who wish to chat with him for the entire hour.

I witnessed Dato on FB firsthand last night. He was chatting and answering questions himself.

There were at least 40 people on the queue waiting to chat with him online. To top it of there were at least 20 young university and college students around him - sipping their teh tariks and having their mee gorengs, roti chanai and thosais. The kids must have been between 20 to 25.

I sat silently and observed everything that was going on. Dato was earnestly answering questions. The questions too, where I could peek and read, were mostly relevant. Where he was not able to offer a solution immediately, Shamsul was there to give his mobile and email details for follow-up action.

I am not sure how many politicians are this net savvy and take the trouble to actually chat with youth. But this man had them eating out of his hands - his good nature and sincerity is unmistakable - no I am not polishing apples here. You have to know Dato and see him in action to see what I mean.

I then chatted with Dato's wife for a while. She is an extremely pleasant and simple lady. Always ready with a genuine smile - unlike many Datins we meet. She is an engaging conversationalist too - likes to chat on simple matters with the youth who take to her like ducks to water.

After about an hour and a half of pounding on the keyboard, with Maxis Broadband serving him unfailingly, Dato logged off to join everyone for teh tarik and to chat with the rest of the "gang". I looked around and decided I was contributing to the increase of the average age of the group and politely took my leave.

But before I left I took note of the conversations these young people were having with him - no they were not lobbying for projects etc like we jaded people do. They were all eager to solve problems, they had genuine interest in matters regarding higher education, the internet, knowledge etc.

I left, feeling good about the change that is slowly but surely happening in this country. Its beginning to take shape in mamak shops, in the pyche of the young and eager.

God bless this land !

Cheers

2 comments:

Shundecarta said...

Dash, it is an honor to have you as our good friend. Beside dato, you should be one of the aspiring figure for Malaysian youth today. If there is a tagline for Mr Dash, i would term him as "Man of wisdom'.Do not give up on supporting us. Together we develop a better Malaysia.

Puteri Nuur At-Terawis said...

if ever datoo' saifuddin came across and read this entry, i like to say this to him: 'good job dato', proud to have you in our ministry. serve to the people!'